home > article > Vintage Nutmeg Grater, Modern Microplane (and a recipe)

Masher

Vintage Nutmeg Grater, Modern Microplane (and a recipe)

image

It’s been a long time since the days of nutmeg graters like this one and leather-bound cookbooks.
image

Recipes are now often glowing links in email inboxes, like the one I received today from Saveur Magazine for rum-spiked chicken with a hint of nutmeg.
image

And though I love my old grater, I admit that I reached for my sleek modern microplane when it came time to grate the nutmeg for this recipe, which by the way is delicious, easy, and at our house, made a fast weekday dinner with bowtie pasta and roasted carrots. If you’d like to try it too, visit Bell’alimento.

see also: The Picayune Creole Cookbook

Tell a friend about this article:

Jellypress is about Nancy and Laura having fun with what they love: old recipes, art, and ideas--as we find them in our modern lives.  We met...read more »

Quince
Yes, all the artwork on Jellypress was done by Nancy. Go to the Jellypress Art page

The Lost Ravioli Recipes of Hoboken: A Search for Food and FamilyTo find out about Laura's search for a long lost family recipe, click [ What's a Jellypress?

Comments on this post

Discuss this post.
Tell a Friend...

I’ve had one of those old nutmeg graters since the dinosaurs roamed the earth (or at least since I’ve been married and I still use it whenever I grate nutmeg, even though I have a microplaner too. Just tradition and I love tradition.

– ciaochowlinda (March 16 2010 at 8:56)

I also have one of those old graters. I inherited it from my grandma who received it as a gift when she got married. I love it and use it every time I need to grate nutmeg. I especially like how you can keep the nut inside of the grater (of course I put the grater with the nut inside in a box so the nut will keep fresh grin). I’ve resisted buying a microplane, because it’s incredibly expensive here in Germany, but I hear it’s great for zesting. I don’t know, maybe I will get one one of these days. But I’ll still use my old grater or nutmeg. grin

–  (March 25 2010 at 3:48)

Hi Julia and Linda,

Kitchen treasures inherited from ancestors are always so wonderful to have. I found mine at a yard sale and to tell the truth, it’s not really free enough of rust and grime to use, but I love its shape and patina of age. You’re both lucky to have ones you can actually use, and you’ve inspired me now to keep an eye out for one that is in good enough condition to do so. Thanks!

–  (March 25 2010 at 6:49)

Oh! That’s the kind of nutmeg grater my mother had! It’s probably about my age, and it’s still at her house. I love that it has that little storage hole for the nutmeg.

– magpie (March 30 2010 at 5:10)

Dear Magpie,

It’s so rewarding for me to get such nice comments about my little nutmeg grater. Thanks for posting! There seems to be quite the community out there of families who have ancestors who had these lovely little tools. Those are the things that connect us in such surprising ways.

– Nancy Ring (March 30 2010 at 5:22)

I have one of those old nutmeg graters. it has been sitting in a jar with the whole nutmegs I have been grating since my now grown kids were small. The nutmeg is still pungent. It has never occurred to me to buy new ones.

– sarah levine simon (May 16 2010 at 9:08)

Page 1 of 1 pages of comments

Commenting is not available in this section entry.

Links

© 2007 Nancy Gail Ring. All fine art images appearing on jellypress.com are protected under United States Copyright Law. No art from this web site may be downloaded, frame-grabbed or printed without written consent.