home > article > Purple Inspiration
- by Laura, October 29, 2009
1. Wash and slice your little eggplant in half. Salt it now if you like.
2. Heat lots of olive oil in the pan until it is very hot but not smoking. When is it hot enough? When you put a wooden spoon in and the oil sizzles
3. Fry the eggplant on one side until it is golden. Salt it now if you didn’t before.
4. Turn with a spatula and fry the other side. Salt again.
If your garden is in full sun as mine is, it keeps going into November--even here in the Northeast of NJ. The herbs are fading but still quite serviceable. And our broccoli keeps pushing hard. Every day I still eat at least one cherry tomato. But the end is near.
Two small eggplant plants gave us an unremitting amount of fruit. There’s still some out there, and frost will come any night now. Time to collect and cook. This is a lovely way.